Photomator 3.3 with a powerful file browser is now available

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2024-02-22 15:17:21

The powerful new Photomator file browser is finally here! Built using native macOS technologies, it makes browsing and editing photos on your Mac faster and easier than ever before.

Check out our blog post to learn all about the exciting new features in this major update.

2024-02-22 17:14:25

Seems like the size of sidecar files is dramatically reduced with this release. Definitely something else to shout about!

2024-02-22 18:13:04

Would the Photomator sidecar be compatible with Pixelmator sidecar?

2024-02-22 18:47:05

Now you have added the browser I have finally purchased Photpmator to fit alongside Pixelmator Pro ... that was the missing bit. Now, save me a little time and introduce a "save for web" button like Pixelmator has please. This is good.

2024-02-22 18:59:53

this program is amazing, sorry photonot deleted your app.... :heart_eyes:

2024-02-23 00:29:36

Fantastic update, and I appreciate the extremely clear and thoughtfully produced demo video. Very happy about these updates!

2024-02-23 02:04:59

I've been waiting for this - excellent! Any plans to allow iOS versions to access files on a NAS or shared folder? Would love to work on photos using my Vision Pro but I don't usually store my photos on icloud.

2024-02-23 07:40:32

Any chance that there will be a way to convert existing sidecar files to the new smaller size format? I'd love to free up iCloud space but don't want to re-edit old photos.

2024-02-23 16:06:11

Yeah, and a price increase up to 30 (!) % for the lifetime license.

From the series: How to drive out the last paying customers...

2024-02-24 21:59:46

People have to stop complaining about the price. Lifetime license is for life, think about that for a second. The developer also got to eat, and the lifetime license is tiny compared to the cost of a camera gear.

I have paid for the lifetime license 3 times as of now for different accounts, and if I necessary I will do it again if the software keeps being supported and improving.

2024-02-25 07:42:31

by Roadhouse People have to stop complaining about the price. Lifetime license is for life, think about that for a second. The developer also got to eat, and the lifetime license is tiny compared to the cost of a camera gear.
I came here to say this too. I'm super happy about the file browser, and I have for a long time been wanting to migrate everything over from Capture One to a Photomator/Pixelmator workflow. This latest change has moved me one step closer.

Well done chaps, and keep up the good work.

2024-02-26 11:39:15

by nigelw Any chance that there will be a way to convert existing sidecar files to the new smaller size format? I'd love to free up iCloud space but don't want to re-edit old photos.
I second that.

2024-02-27 08:22:20

by reb Seems like the size of sidecar files is dramatically reduced with this release. Definitely something else to shout about!
We're now also working on storing these new smaller sidecars directly inside the adjustment data in the Photos library when they're small enough – another pretty awesome improvement I'd say!
by Rainfall I've been waiting for this - excellent! Any plans to allow iOS versions to access files on a NAS or shared folder? Would love to work on photos using my Vision Pro but I don't usually store my photos on icloud.
It's a little more tricky getting this new browser to iOS but we're keeping the idea in mind, at least. For now, the next big that that we'll be focusing on is probably rating and tagging but, after that, we'll see.
by Sparroworks Now you have added the browser I have finally purchased Photpmator to fit alongside Pixelmator Pro ... that was the missing bit. Now, save me a little time and introduce a "save for web" button like Pixelmator has please. This is good.
Noted!
by nigelw Any chance that there will be a way to convert existing sidecar files to the new smaller size format? I'd love to free up iCloud space but don't want to re-edit old photos.
Cool suggestion! We're considering adding a way to send images along with edits from the files browser to your Photos library so this could be something we could tackle at the same time.
by Gareth Williams I came here to say this too. I'm super happy about the file browser, and I have for a long time been wanting to migrate everything over from Capture One to a Photomator/Pixelmator workflow. This latest change has moved me one step closer.

Well done chaps, and keep up the good work.
Cheers, Gareth!
by scott2023 Fantastic update, and I appreciate the extremely clear and thoughtfully produced demo video. Very happy about these updates!
Glad you enjoyed the video! Fun fact – the guy doing the voiceover on that video is the same guy who did much of the development work on the new browser on the Mac. :D (your truly, that is)

2024-02-27 12:30:41

I just updated and used file browser and sidecar files are stored alongside original file as expected and as I hoped

BUT I can't understand why in the options there is still iCloud / image folder
Does this option take effect only for Apple Foto library? I'm a little confused

2024-02-28 07:53:48

by Al404it I just updated and used file browser and sidecar files are stored alongside original file as expected and as I hoped

BUT I can't understand why in the options there is still iCloud / image folder
Does this option take effect only for Apple Foto library? I'm a little confused
Yes, for now, we don't save sidecars/edits in the Photos library directly, so that option applies to the Apple Photos library. In the future, it will only apply to large sidecars (those with Repair tool/super resolution/denoising edits/etc.) because those with adjustments only will soon be able to fit inside the Photos library itself.

2024-03-01 14:46:57

I am a photographer and currently still use Lightroom. Now that Photomator has direct access to the file system, the software is also an option for me. I have two questions:

1) Is Photomator also designed for a large image library: so if I have the main folder of my photo library with around 80000 photos read into Photomator, is that ok?

2) I also think in the long term: if I have edited a lot of photos, there is a lot of work involved. If I move the main folder of my photos in the file system, this work must not be lost. Can I then somehow tell Photomator the new location of the main folder of my photos and then automatically see the existing edits?

2024-03-18 19:08:15

by MMMTG I am a photographer and currently still use Lightroom. Now that Photomator has direct access to the file system, the software is also an option for me. I have two questions:

1) Is Photomator also designed for a large image library: so if I have the main folder of my photo library with around 80000 photos read into Photomator, is that ok?

2) I also think in the long term: if I have edited a lot of photos, there is a lot of work involved. If I move the main folder of my photos in the file system, this work must not be lost. Can I then somehow tell Photomator the new location of the main folder of my photos and then automatically see the existing edits?
Photomator has two modes, using the Apple Photo Library or the File Browser. In the fist case the Library is an Apple Photos library that you manade like any Apple Photos Library. What you seem to want to do is use the File Browser feature and keep your photos in regular folders. in which case there is no library involved, that is whey the call it the File Browser. You edits are saved in the sidecar file which is saved wherever the image file is located. If you move the folder that contains it everything moves along with it. In the File Browser mode there is no library saved elsewhere. But consequently there is no library type of features either in File Browser mode i.e. no rating, albums, etc.

You can try the app for free so maybe you should take advantage of that. Take note the app is still actively being developed so every 3 monts or so major features are being added and things are evolving.

2024-04-01 18:06:31

Hi,

This is my first post here.

Curious... your Photomator roadmap says "Full integration between Photomator and Pixelmator Pro." - does this mean Pixelmator Pro will be getting this same file browser so that I don't have to use Adobe Bridge anymore? :)

2024-04-21 19:48:36

by Skip Hunt Hi,

This is my first post here.

Curious... your Photomator roadmap says "Full integration between Photomator and Pixelmator Pro." - does this mean Pixelmator Pro will be getting this same file browser so that I don't have to use Adobe Bridge anymore? :)
It's so strange... I've asked what I think is a fairly clear and simple question above, and have asked on the Pixelmator twitter/X account too, but can't get an answer.

I've been a user and fan of this company and their software for years now... but getting anyone to respond to a question has always been a challenge.

I seem to recall users were told there was a file management system being worked on for Pixelmator Pro a couple years ago. Then this one appears for Photomator. With the roadmaps saying they are planning on full integration between Photomator and Pixelmator Pro, one would assume they'd share the same file management system... yes?

2024-04-22 06:54:03

Granting folder access to Photomator on iOS only works for iCloud drive, but not other cloud Locations, such as Google Drive. When I do that, it throws an error Image. Does this meet the expections? Will this be supported in the future?