RAW+HEIC pairs?

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2024-03-26 20:10:06

Hi,

I usually shoot RAW+HEIC on my Fuji X-T5 while, at most times, I only import the HEIC file (Photomator Version 3.3.9 on iOS 17.4.1 on an iPad Pro 12.9 M2). Occasionally, I import both RAW+HEIC to have more headroom on processing. To my understanding, the RAW+HEIC should show up as a pair in the browser, where I can control if RAW or HEIC is to be edited. However, the HEIC and RAW files are separated. Is this expected?

Any help appreciated!
Mike

2024-03-26 22:33:52

To my knowledge the pairs, be it RAW+JPG or RAW+HEIC, are displayed as such anytime there is two files with an identical name, and the respective extensions. Cameras always save two files, this is not specific to your camera. So if you copy two image files with same name but different extensions they should show as a pair.

With regards to editing one or the other, I find Photomator poorly designed and I reported it, there are also threads about this issue. However so far they have not executed fixing that. So if your right-click an image pair, you will not get something like "Edit RAW" plus "Edit HEIC" in the menu. The only control you have is in the global app settings, where you set the default to RAW or non-RAW and it will open the corresponding file when you click it. This is however a global setting so you cannot chose on a per image basis, which is what most people are looking for I believe - you edit the JPEG when it looks good enough, and switch to RAW when the JPEG is lacking (High dynamic rance, dark shadows, etc). As it is you need to change the app setting every time you chose one or the other, a real pain.

On iPad it is more usable because in the right-click menu, if you have the default to RAW it will offer "Edit JPG" and if your default is JPG it will offer "Edit RAW" allowing you to pick one or the other in a rather confusing manner. Simply offering both choices in the menu would be much simpler but ....

2024-03-27 14:43:52

Hi Martin,

thank you for your response. I double-checked the filenames of the RAW+HEIC pairs, and find that they are identical:
However, the photos do not show up as a pair, but as 2 separate photos:

Any advice?

2024-03-27 14:50:12

Have you used the feedback form within Photomator to contact the pixelmator team? I've found they've always responded to me within 2 or 3 days?

2024-03-27 14:57:03

Thanks Shelton, I was not aware of this form!

2024-03-27 19:16:54

I see now that you do this on iPhone. I did a quick test with a RAW+JPG pair in a an iCloud folder that sync between my Mac and iPhone and I access that folder through Photomator. On the Mac the image is one object with the RAW+JPG badge, on the iPhone they are two separate files. So the issue is clearly that the File Browser on iOS is a simple file window native from the OS. On the Mac the file browser is more customized. Let's hope that on iOS they build a proper file browser that does not suffer from iOS limitations.

As a sidenode to this the same issue hold with sidecar files. On the Mac you do not see sidecar files as separate objects in the File Browser. The image has an edit badge applied it, the image+sidecar are one thing. But for that also in iOS the two are separate files. The issue is the same as for RAW+JPG or RAW+HIEC

2024-04-12 08:53:17

by Martin Chalifoux To my knowledge the pairs, be it RAW+JPG or RAW+HEIC, are displayed as such anytime there is two files with an identical name, and the respective extensions. Cameras always save two files, this is not specific to your camera. So if you copy two image files with same name but different extensions they should show as a pair.

With regards to editing one or the other, I find Photomator poorly designed and I reported it, there are also threads about this issue. However so far they have not executed fixing that. So if your right-click an image pair, you will not get something like "Edit RAW" plus "Edit HEIC" in the menu. The only control you have is in the global app settings, where you set the default to RAW or non-RAW and it will open the corresponding file when you click it. This is however a global setting so you cannot chose on a per image basis, which is what most people are looking for I believe - you edit the JPEG when it looks good enough, and switch to RAW when the JPEG is lacking (High dynamic rance, dark shadows, etc). As it is you need to change the app setting every time you chose one or the other, a real pain. Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind. I am a PhD student, and I know that it is not easy to complete that with perfection and within the time limit. But to solve my problem, my friend suggested this https://stateofwriting.com/uk/research- ... ng-service website, which helped me complete my research paper. They did a great job. I liked them because they are professional in their work, and the cherry on top is that they are also affordable.

On iPad it is more usable because in the right-click menu, if you have the default to RAW it will offer "Edit JPG" and if your default is JPG it will offer "Edit RAW" allowing you to pick one or the other in a rather confusing manner. Simply offering both choices in the menu would be much simpler but ....
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.