No more black interface in Pixelmator

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator?

2014-10-23 16:42:10

This forum board itself is nearly unreadable.

The Pixelmator app is exhausting to use and with poor UI implementation. (Compare it to Acorn, which is not as feature-rich but whose UI is a *pleasure* to use in comparison to Pixelmator.

They've just released what appears to be an amazing iPad app -- but with the same white text on black. Gawdalmighty. Get someone over 40 on your staff, please.

2014-10-24 04:23:46

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I have far from perfect eyesight and I find Pixelmator's black interface super refreshing. I don't know what the problem is that many of you have. I'm all about choice and people having what they want or need.

It's beautifully designed as-is though. It would be ugly as sin in grey or white. It would also make it difficult to work on certain types of images in particular where extra light in the UI would really throw things off.

I wouldn't be too pleased if it changed, but perhaps a toggleable mode that inverts things for people who want it would be OK.

I think there's a few critical things that need to come along first though.

2014-10-27 15:14:31

Please, please don't change the interface too much. I love the black UI and the colourful icons that jump out at you when you click on them. If you must make drastic changes please retain an option to use the current UI or offer support for Yosemite's dark mode.

One final plea, please don't use lots of white, I find it glaring and it hurts my eyes.

2014-11-08 23:10:28

I would like a gray background. New Feature: Allow user to set background color – from white through gray to black. Thanks. - Fabini

2014-11-09 18:58:40

oh please... no more black background (GUI)! it's terrible to look at. I am so sad after last update. please at least make an option for another GUI. I would be OK with dark background, but this is not done properly (Look atdark version of twitterrific 5 - it's nice). no, pixelmaror, no...:-(

2014-11-10 19:51:52

For over two years now, on this nearly unreadable discussion board, users have been asking for a more eye-friendly UI (and even a more eye-friendly support board).

Nothing.

Each time I try to get out of Photoshop and into Pixelmator, I end up going back to PS because the UI is more usable and less strain on the eyes. Can't tell where the palettes are when overlapped in Pixelmator, the icons on the toolbar are microscopic on a large screen, and the small white type on black throughout the app is just the dog's breath.

Some people like the white on black. Fine. I get it. But no doubt just as many don't. There's a very good usability reason why no Adobe products use black UI.

2014-11-12 13:05:48

My opinion:
I like the black look!
And now it fits well with the new "Dark Mode" in OS Yosemite.
But I would like palettes which could be optionally locked in a Frame. There are hiding projects.

2014-12-04 12:36:49

I find black backgrounds with white text very hard to read and it strains my eyes. Please give an option to change this.

2014-12-17 22:10:00

I have the same problem

2014-12-22 15:55:32

I totally agree.
While this seems to be the "In" thing for graphic apps, it's certainly not everyone's preference.
I find it had on the eyes and it gives me a headache after an hour.
There should be a choice available to set the U.I. to one's preference.

2015-01-04 01:11:58

Options are needed for the interface color. Ditto, regarding the inability to distinguish between windows/palettes.

2015-09-04 01:04:35

Would love to see an option to choose between a light or dark GUI. Just like OS X itself allows you to do with its menu bar/dock.

2015-09-08 22:00:28

THREE YEARS after this thread was started...

Still have glossy jet-black interface. Still have floating palettes that are often unfindable or difficult to distinguish. Still have typeface size that is often microscopic. Likewise with toolbar icons.

In my experience, when software developers ignore fundamental and consistent feedback from users, for years, the software eventually lands in the dead pool. There are enough options for Pixelmator to be made irrelevant... Acorn, Affinity Design and Photo, et cetera.

You can't rely on the kudos from four years ago.

I have an image of Pixelmator's developers sitting at all the same screen configurations, in perfect conditions, confirming to one another that all looks good to them. The users must be wacko.

Moving on. Actually, did so a long time ago.

2015-09-08 22:00:54

Hell, this forum is nearly impossible to read. Feedback that has been offered by many over the years.

2015-09-21 02:03:25

Keep it Black! Or at least dark dark dark dark grey

2015-10-01 14:52:38

I agree to 'No more black interface in Pixelmator'.

I experience black theme with floating windows confusing and outdated.

Is there a roadmap for future features and updates?

2015-10-01 23:49:41

Absolutely hard to read.... Larger fonts also.

2015-12-08 20:09:51

FOUR YEARS.

Not a single effort by Pixelmator to improve a single issue on the UI: unreadable toolbar icons, often unreadable white-on-black text, the clutter of indistinguishable black floating palettes.

For four years so many *paying* users have requested even the most modest of options or improvements in the user interface. Not a single visible change.

2015-12-11 10:56:24

Please listen to your customers, change this terrible black interface...........pleaseeeeeeeeeeee

2015-12-18 16:28:28

Most professional photography and drawing apps have dark interfaces, because you get a more true representation of accurate colors. (i.e., Photoshop, Illustrator, Affinity Photo, Designer, etc)

When there is a white or bright background, there is more glare. It's like working in an old photography darkroom.

If Pixelmator brightened their background too much, they would risk losing a lot of professional users. So they need to find the right balance without getting too far from the dark interface we're used to in our other photo apps.

2016-01-09 15:51:00

@sdeetz : Most of us would agree that it needs a dark interface for various reasons. The point is, it doesn't have to be black ! 4-5 years ago, Pixelmator 1.0 had a pretty right balance actually. Right now, I'm looking at apps like Photoshop because they let you decide which shade of grey you like. The Pixelmator Team hasn't done anything in that regards in the last HALF DECADE.

2016-01-15 20:56:16

If Pixelmater ever dropped the dark interface, many professional photo editors would stop using it immediately. Why do you think Adobe Photoshop and Affinity Photo are both dark interfaces also? Same thing with Adobe Illustrator, Procreate, Autodesk, and numerous other design and photo apps.

A dark environment is better for reducing glare during photo editing for more accurate colors and seeing details than a bright environment does. That's why every professional art app has a dark user interface.

2016-01-27 19:44:27

I'm sure this issue is not gong away. I'll throw my opinion in here as a new user. The two most frustrating issues with Pixelmator are the Tool Panels that won't stay docked somewhere and the black background. Please make it optional to change the tool panel color. Why would you insist on having your system rigidly use a UI color scheme that is 180 degrees away from most other apps on my mac? It makes no sense.

2016-01-31 02:42:15

Yes,Needs an option to use something other then the BLACK, PS Elements is muck easier to see.

2016-05-03 04:15:07

Yes a dark grey interface would be better than pure black. Or at least make it an option.
Does the developers even read the forums? If not why open them. Using a forum is a waste of database space, if it is not used.