Save as SVG

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator?

2011-12-30 04:41:04

Please add the ability to save as an .svg file.

2012-02-23 12:34:24

Yeah, that's an important feature. Another vote.

2012-04-09 08:31:22

here's my vote! :)
pixelmator has vectorial shapes, it would be nice to export them..

2012-05-11 06:26:10

Pixelmator used to have the ability to save to tons of file formats, but this feature was apparently removed in 2.0. In addition, it seemed to also open many more file formats prior to 2.0. I am not sure why they took a step back in this area.

2012-05-17 10:04:10

I also vote for svg support. Or another tool for vector graphics :) (Somehow compatible with Pixelmator)

2012-05-19 17:13:07

EPS, Vector artwork in PDF, SVG would all be great for my workflow too.
Trying to exist on an island all by oneself is very lonely. ;-)

2012-05-23 19:48:12

Another vote over here for this feature. I'd love to see the ability to see some kind of vector export support in the future. If there have to be limits to what kind of objects can be exported as such, so be it.

2012-06-16 12:15:53

would be awesome! +1 here
I make most of my worksheets for school with inkscape, if this app could also replace inkscape I could completely kill x11 from my machine!

2012-07-28 03:01:21

I would really love to have SVG support (save/load).

2012-08-02 03:05:51

You have my vote on SVG as well....I would love to be able to convert a bitmap to vector function as well!

2012-08-09 16:19:26

Another vote for svg.

2012-10-10 11:08:43

Other vote for SVG :D

2012-10-12 07:18:55

+1

2012-10-12 12:02:51

LOL

2012-10-12 17:02:19

Hi Coen,

To further help us out it would be nice to keep a discussion going about why people want and why people don't want this as a feature. A +1 alone is nice if you agree with the others for the same reasons. Since you had a -1 you might want to elaborate on why you don't want to see SVG support as a feature. Thanks for your input, because this will help us very much in the teams decision making.

2012-10-17 12:39:19

Please add SVG. With high-density screens becoming even more popular, it's really important to add it.

By the way, I think the -1 post was a joke, but if it wasn't it would help to know why.

2012-10-17 21:54:17

SVG support would be useful here too.

2012-10-22 19:23:58

I need SVG ability because a specialized software program I'm using only takes SVG's for the graphics.

2012-10-24 09:25:30

@Sebastiaan

Fair Enough. What use is exporting SVG in a mainly pixel based image editor? It isn't called PIXELmator for nothing. SVG are Scaleable Vector Graphics. But the main functionality of Pixelmator is bitmap based. It just doesn't make sense exporting bitmap imagery to SVG.
Besides that, adding SVG export would mean that the Pixelmator team would shift it's focus away from bitmap graphics and away from it's strength. Wanting stuff like this kind of reminds me of the old DTP-app called Canvas. It was QuarkXpress, Photoshop and Illustrator all in one. And it was utter crap. Too much functionality.

I really think Pixelmator is great and I use it every other day, but adding more vector functionallity just doesn't cut it for me, that stuff is better done in Inkscape, iDraw or Illustrator.So, -1 for SVG support in Pixelmator.

2012-10-24 10:25:50

@Coen Well actually, it's more relevant than ever to have it.

In version 2 Pixelmator added support for drawing tools, so adding SVG support would allow us to export these graphics without compressing them as bitmaps.It will also be useful for text-based graphics.

Regardless of what use it has, it would really just appear as another export option and hence increase the capabilities of this fantastic app. Why would you want less features just because it has little use to you?

I really hope this gets added, it would be very useful for the sort of graphics I make.

2012-10-24 15:04:37

@Snow Leopard - I said nothing about less features.I said something about keeping focus.

2012-10-27 12:46:38

@Coen I don't see how adding SVG would stop focus. If anything, it would assist it.

2012-11-04 07:43:47

Snow Leopard,

What you're not getting, is that you are asking for something that is inane. I don't mean this as an insult, but Coen has tried to explain, you simply can't magically turn raster images into vector graphics. It simply does not work that way. You can achieve some semblance of this through "vectorizing" the image. This effectively makes the image look like a cartoon, not a picture. And if people are serious about wanting a RASTER program to do this, you HAVE to add vectorizing to make the graphics vector graphics. Look up Adobe Streamline to see what I'm talking about.

I think a lot of people here see someone say that, "gee I'd like..." and then +1 it without thinking it through. THIS is a perfect example. I thought for sure this was a joke, but people are serious here. They REALLY believe that all they have to do is ask for something, even when it's not really possible....

And NO SVG would not assist focus in any way. If you want to build Vector Graphic images, get a vector graphics program (I use and recommend iDraw). You might as well be asking for MS Word to export MIDI. Sure, they could make it happen, but it's NOT the best use of resources.

2012-11-04 09:04:11

+1 on midi support in MS Word!

2012-11-04 16:05:45

I realized my example of MIDI in Word might be a bit... metaphorical. Pixelmator has a text tool. The OS allows me to spell check and Grammar check. I'd like to see a .docx format export. Docx can handle graphics, and I could import my work directly to Word. This would obviously improve the Focus of Pixelmator because I'd be able to use it with another piece of software (though I really don't understand how this argument makes sense).

Now, I'm not serious. I just wanted to take time to give an example that DIRECTLY relates to Pixelmator.

Snow Leopard (and everyone here). If I was editing a raster image, and I discovered I needed to do a little simple vector work, I would use Pixelmators vector tools. Just like if I needed to do a little text work, I'd use the text tools. I would no more expect to export as an SVG because I used a vector tool, than I would expect to export as a .docx because I used a text tool.

If I wanted to do some SERIOUS vector work, I'd do it in a Vector graphics editor (iDraw). Just like if I was going to write a research paper, I'd use Pages (I know, most people like Word). That is why I identified the request as "inane" (which I still feel the REQUEST is). I hold nothing against anyone, and though I used strong language, I still respect your right to an opinion.